Saturday, September 17, 2011

Love's Obsession (1)

"Did you forget to bring your phone today?"

A colleague asks as she notices that I didn't place my mobile on the table during lunch. The rest of my coworkers stares my way their interest piqued by the ongoing conversation.

"No. I just didn't bring it along. Left it in my drawer."

Seeing their perplexed expressions, I continued.

"There isn't a need to bring it since I don't get any messages."

Shrugging my shoulders and flashing a wry smile, I lowered my head and starting tucking into the food in front of me. In no time, the trio of ladies too began work on their lunch while their fingers danced over the keypad of their shiny blackberry cellphones. Watching them smile and grin at their screens, I force myself to concentrate on the plate of unappetizing rice.

It's okay. It won't hurt anymore one day.

-----

I swing the door close after stepping into the quiet apartment. The clock strikes 9.30 as I hang my keys on the little hook in the wall and kick off my shoes. Walking further into my empty home, I place my bag on the dinner room chair and head into my room. Thankfully my family members are away and I didn't have to content with answering stupid questions tonight. I'm exhausted from working overtime and the pounding in my head isn't helping matters.

Too tired physically to shower, I stripped off my outer coat and tossed it in a corner. The laundry will just have to wait till I'm feeling better. Realizing that I'm quite soaked from the sudden storm which had drenched me from head to toe, I decided to not ruin my bed and just settle by sleeping on the floor. Taking a pillow and resting it on the floor, I laid down on it.

Lying down on my side, I closed and eyes and waited for sleep to kick in. Unfortunately sleep did not take me and I reopened my eyes to search for my medication. Removing tablets of different colors from their packaging, I threw them into my mouth and swallowed a whole cup of water. I hated pills and it irritated me to have to take them on a daily basis.

The throbbing in my head seemed to lighten and the medicine seemed to help the stabbing pain in my stomach. Now if only the nausea would stop too. Lying down on my left side once more, I stared into the whitewashed wall until the image of a familiar raven haired girl appeared.

"Did you only just get home?"

I nodded wordlessly as our eyes locked. Feeling my orbs turn moist, I blinked repeated to stop my tears from flowing.

"I only have you. I wish I could hold you. It hurts...so much."

My words didn't make sense and no one would be able to understand what I was trying to say. Yet the new arrival didn't have to ask to know what I meant.

"I know it's painful but it will stop one day. I will be where you want me to be and I will do what you want me to do."

"Really?"

I replied with my voice wavering. I was desperate, lost and hurting. My entire being hoped that my heart and mind could forget everything that was tormenting me. That I could escape the physical pain that my body was subjected to.

"Promise. Now close your eyes and sleep. Feel better tomorrow."

I stared at her again, my vision transfixed on her beautiful features.

"Please never leave me..."

Those were the last words I remembered uttering as I drifted off to an uneasy sleep.

No comments: