Sunday, October 16, 2011

Loving You Forever

"1,2,1,2. Yes that's the way. Now from the top."

As we returned to our starting positions, I stole a glance at the mirror and saw her reflection. Coincidentally, she chose the same time to look up and our eyes met. Winking at me, she grinned, our secret signal that we will both work hard at the dance steps until we broke for lunch.

Satisfied with her encouragement, I took a deep breath and concentrated. Determined to nail the entire routine before the dance instructor pointed out my mistakes.

"Alright, we'll stop here for now. After lunch, we will start with the second half of the concert songs."

"Hai~! Arigatou."

"You've worked hard!"

After thanking the teacher, everyone started packing up their belongings and heading out of the studio. Similarly, I gathered up my towel and hung it around my neck. Stuffing my jacket into my bag, I zipped it close and got up from my kneeling posture on the wooden floor.

Scanning around the room, I looked for my best friend as we would always go for meals together. Noticing her near the corner, I was about to walk over to her when the manager intercepted my plan.

"Michishige, I need to talk to you about the change in tomorrow's schedule."

Although reluctant, I could not go against the manager's wishes. Catching her gaze, I bowed apologetically.

It's okay. I'll meet you in the dressing room later.

She flashed me an understanding smile and motioned for me to quickly follow the manager before I got an unnecessary nagging.

Some time later, I was the only person left in the room as everyone had gone on for lunch in the cafeteria. Sitting alone in front of the dresser, I glanced repeatedly at my cellphone and wondered why she hadn't appeared. Did she get stopped along the way to discuss about work too?

Mulling over whether I should message or call her, my thumb hovered above the dial button, worried that I might interrupt an important meeting.

At this moment, the door swung open and I turned around in my chair, filled with anticipation at seeing the person I was waiting for. Instead of her, it was someone else.

"Ehhh, why are you still here Sayusuke? Have you had your lunch?"

"Gaki-san? Have you seen Eririn? She was supposed to meet me to take our meal together."

Staring back at me with her eyes wide and a shocked expression on her face, Risa came towards me and placed both hands on my shoulders. Massaging them gently, she said.

"Have you forgotten, Eri isn't with us anymore. She graduated last year."

At her words, time seemed to stop and the room fell silent as I took in what she had just said.
Isn't with us... graduated...

"B-ut..but...but I saw her just now! During rehearsal!"

Bending down and wrapping her arms around my torso, Risa snuggled her face in the nook of my neck.

"It's okay to miss her. We all do."

Raising one hand to pat me on the head, my senpai continued.

"Let's ask her out this Thursday. We can go for breakfast, shopping and a movie after. What do you say?"

I couldn't respond to the suggestion as I had started crying, my voice choking up and my body trembling with the effort it took to keep my sobbing down.

After I had regained enough composure to speak, I looked up at Risa's concerned face and asked her a question.

"Do you think we will grow apart? Will she forget me?"

Stroking at my fringe, Gaki-san reassured.

"She most definitely won't forget you. This is Kame we are talking about."

Tugging at a piece of tissue from the nearby tissue box, she dabbed at my tears and teased.

"Sayusuke is the ichiban kawaii right? How can you go around with swollen eyes? I'll accompany you to wash up then we'll join Ai-chan for lunch. Sound good?"

This time I managed to nod a reply. Just as Risa was about to straighten her back and stand upright again, I threw both arms around her neck and pulled her near.

"Arigatou Gaki-san."

My voice was drowned out from speaking into the front of her tracksuit but I guessed she still heard me as she helped me up from the chair and pushed away slightly to look into my reddish eyes.

"Anytime Sayusuke."

As we approached the exit, I looked over my shoulder to stare at the mirror. And once again, I saw the person I couldn't live without smiling back at me while mouthing a sentence.

Loving you forever.

"Me too Eririn. Forever..."

No comments: