Saturday, March 12, 2011

Earthquake Situation in Japan 110311

The first time I heard about the earthquake that tookplace in Japan was via text message. I wasn't too surprised since it's pretty often that earthquakes hit the country. That night, when I watched the news, I still wasn't very worried since the devastation footage didn't look too bad. And since I was confident that one of the world's most advanced countries would have prepared itself for when disaster strikes.

But now after the initial earthquake, I'm feeling more and more disillusioned with the unfolding events. The earthquake itself was bad enough. With the tsunami, things were made worse. And now Fukushima nuclear plants have run into trouble with problems with the cooling mechanism and keeping radiation levels at a safe level. I'm beginning to think that things will only continue to spiral out of control. Sure, for now the girls in MM, Berryz, C-ute, Mano Erina, etc and the rest of the Japanese population are safe, but for how long?

I don't want Japan, or any part of the world to be faced with a crisis of such a magnitude. And I'm made more anxious with the various conflicting reports which can't seem to come to a consensus on the number of killed and injured or how many times the radiation levels have risen in Fukushima and the surrounding areas.

But the one thing that irks me the most is inconsiderate individuals gloating about the disaster. On all accounts, this is a tragedy. And despite what has happened in the past, it should not be carried over to the current generation. Everyone should do their part be it in terms of praying for the victims or helping out in monetary forms or through actions.

Please don't continue saying that this horrible event happening to Japan is retribution for events which have taken place in the past. People should look to the future. And now, the most pressing issue is stopping the spread of radiation and saving people.

No comments: