Friday, April 17, 2009

7+ Years of Secrets

Why such a strange title? The reason is I'd expect Ai and Risa to know a lot about each other after spending so many years together as best friends in MM. (Let's ignore the fact that there are 2 others in the 5th Generation XD) Stuff including each other's likes, dislikes, pet peeves, secrets and coughahemstuffthatexcitesthemcough.


In my opinion, TakaGaki started out not because the two of them gravitated to each other due to similar tastes. It was probably more a case of having no other choice since Makoto and KonKon hit it off so well. I don't mean the monkey :P and bean pair aren't close with their fellow 5kkies as it's pretty obvious Risa is good with Mako-chan while Ai is the same with Asami. It's just that everyone needs a BFF so to speak and TakaGaki found that someone in each other after getting thrown together.


Yet, I don't think their relationship is built solely on convenience. With time, you can see from random clips and pictures that the girls are comfortable around each other, which in a way proves their closeness. The rare ocassion where either of them talks about the other is a real treat for me since I thrive on getting glimspes of my favorite pairings. I have a top 5 couple pairing (CP) ranking on which leader and sub-leader is definitely in top 2 position. Plus, there is the added bonus of discovering new trivia that a fan wouldn't know about if the girls didn't let it out themselves.


I've learnt things about Ai like how she's a picky OJ drinker, not in her best element in the water, tends to let slip from her mind their scheduled dates/outings, doesn't answer/reply to Risa's calls/messages cuz she forgets to turn her cell phone on after switching it off, feels embarassed if people see her crying, etc.


As for Risa, I now know she is always beside Ai, supporting her as the ever reliable and hardworking friend/sub-leader. She shares Ai's troubles, provides a listening ear and is basically there whenever she is needed.


Because it's mostly Risa who talks about Ai instead of the other way round, I have to hear about Gaki-san from Eri or Sayumi. Perhaps this is why KameShige have slowly but surely made their way up my list of MM girls.


Although Gaki-san seems to hang around Kame a lot more these days, her little actions shows she still thinks of Ai and worries for her. MM Alo Hello 3, when Ai started screaming like a kid after the float caved and the whole gang fell into the water, Risa was there with her in an instant. She probably knew about Ai's hydrophillic traits and wanted to be there to console her. How about Ai's uneasiness during RnK? Risa was with her too, accompanying her through the night and convincing her that she'll do a great job with her role as the lead character. Oh, and let's not leave out the surprise birthday appearance at nearly midnight on Ai's 21st birthday at her house. I'm sure there are many more examples which I've left out but I think it's clear what I'm trying to convey. Ai and Risa care for each other in a way which may even exceed that of best friends.


I don't know if it's just my mind thinking up bizzare scenarios but I get the feeling that Ai no longer acts as nonchalant towards Risa as before. It's the expression in her eyes when she looks at her, the way she smiles at Risa and her quickness at backing her up or assuring her that she's ok. Case in point, the idol audition in Taiwan when MM went on as guests, performing RB. When Risa got all flustered at acting out her two 'action poses', Ai immediately yelled out "Kawaii x2!" Then there are all those HM@ episodes where Ai watches 'Art-O' theatre or Risa's solo Korean gig. She almost always has this cute and blissful smile on her face. And who can forget the infamous Ai undressing Risa with her eyes clip XDDD


I can't exactly say when this shift from Gaki-san placing more emphasis on Ai-chan changed to one with Takahashi being the more "loving" partner. But to me, I feel Ai has realized Risa is drifting away from her and hence subconsciously, she is trying to get her back which translates into her behaviour on screen and in real life.


After so much rambling, I just want to end with this line. For me, adoring TakaGaki is one of the best parts of my MM fandom and no matter what negative people/anti-fans might say, I sincerely believe that they share something special. There is a bond binding them, one which transcends seven years.

2 comments:

DarkRai said...

Awesome post XD
I always love reading bout TakaGaki

Hmm....... Takahashi undressing Niigaki-san with her eyes!?!?!
When and where was that!?!
I must find!!

Unless it's that concert pic where Takahashi is staring at Niigaki-san's butt... then I already have that XD

An said...

Hammy, I love this post. TO BLOODY DEATH.

*was fangirling throughout this reading*

It's a few years later and their relationships's only proved stronger, but you got TakaGaki down pat, yes you do. <3

I've been reading your whole blog since the lastest post (and backtracked) 'til now, and I'm really in fangirl heaven. Really really ;____;

Thank you so much for sharing all your love and joy for Momusu... I still consider myself a relatively new fan, and I learnt a lot reading all this.

YOU ROCK!

Viva TakaGaki (& KameShige!- didn't know you were a fan! xD)!!!

~Bee